If you are going on vacation for an extended period of time, here are a few suggestions for keeping your home safe and worry free while you are away:
- Consider turning off the main water supply to your home. This valve is usually located in your basement. If you do decide to turn off the main water supply make sure your also turn off any appliances that use water such as an icemaker or fridge water dispenser.
- Pour 1 litre of water down any floor drains to insure the plumbing trap is full so you will not come home to any unpleasant odours.
- Check your water heater for rust and leaks. Look on the floor near the water heater for evidence of a leak.
- Have a friend or family member check on your home every few days or so to remove any flyers and newspapers while you are gone. They can also conduct a visual of your property at the same time.
- Unplug any electronic devices to conserve electricity and protect them against damage if there is a power surge or lightning strike.
- Unplug your garage door opener. Thieves have ways of using hacked remotes and universal remotes.
- Don’t post on line that you are leaving on vacation for an extended period of time! The reasons are obvious, if you post you may be sending strangers an invitation to break into your home.
By taking the time to inspect your home before leaving and preforming some or all of these tips, you should be able to come home to a safe and dry House!